Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Newsome's on the Farm-Dream Fields Farm that is!






It is that time of year, my favorite time of year-FALL! I think back to my days in Asheville with the mountains in full autumnal splendor, driving down Kimberly Ave while it rains colors of red, yellow and orange, putting on my favorite coat to head downtown with a nip in the air and the bluest sky backdrop amidst the 65 degree temps. Sadly those are mere memories, replaced by a panicked mom dressing her girls at 6 in the morning just so it is cool enough to put them in a long sleeve tee, sweating through a pumpkin patch amidst the green background, and faking being comfortable in order to feign excitement of fall in the deep south. I held out as long as I could hoping the temps would lower a bit, but with my mom in town, we had to go ahead to get our pumpkin pickin done. We headed to a farm that the owners had turned into a "Fall Childrens Amusement Park" of sorts. It had the pumpkin patch I was after, hay bales to play on, cow train rides to ride on (after squeezing my butt into one and the consequential bruising that followed), a corn maze that consisted of burnt (from the Alabama sun) corn that Ryan seemed scared of, animals and the best part- a sandbox of corn. All of it was perfectly pleasant, the girls had a good enough time, and so did we, but I couldn't help but think how much more wonderful it would have been had it actually been more "fall like" outside. I have been in the south for a number of years and you would think I could get used to 85 degrees in October, but I am always amazed just how hot it stays deep into fall. Dont worry, I still have Christmas in Florida to look forward to!
(Added a week later) So in the spirit of "blocking things out" Grandma reminded me of a pretty important part of the day that I conveniently "forgot": As we arrived and were getting everything (meaning our traveling house) out of the car, Ryan climbed up into the front seat. We already had Leah in her stroller and then opened the door....YIKES-RYAN FELL OUT! Now, as if this wasn't bad enough, Ryan falling out of a van onto the ground-she decided to take Leah out with her! Her fall caused Leah's stroller to tip over ONTO LEAH'S FACE! See, this is why I dont like strapping the girls in...she had no where to go except onto the ground on her face! So yes, this was the start of our day! :) Thanks for reminder Grandma!

No comments: