Friday, November 13, 2009

Put the scissors down and step away from the child!




If you look at my most recent posts you can see Ryans hair is out of control. Her bangs in particular, they hang in her face, and are unruly. So I decided that she needed a haircut! Hindsight being 20/20, there are a number of things I could have done differently to prevent a hair catastrophe, (left it alone, just give her a trim, taken her to a professional) however, ultimately it didnt turn out THAT bad...considering. I thought I was doing everything right-I bought brand new, small sharp scissors, I waited until after her baths so her hair would be wet (easier to cut) and I put on A Bug's Life (a movie she cannot keep her eyes off of). What I didnt count on was my own enthusiasm and ignorance. I sat her in my "lap" (which is basically my knees cause my belly takes up the rest) turned her to face the tv and came in from behind (sneak bang approach). But she was pretty far away (again, protruding belly) and being right handed I hadn't considered how I would tackle the left side. So after the first pass, she had the "right to left slant" starting out already pretty short. I decided the only way to get this right was the full frontal approach, so I could see what I was actually doing and reach her head (which is important). Here is how the rest of the haircut went, as I am sure you can predict:
A little off the left to even it out...ooooops...ok...a little off the right....ooooops....a little off the left.....CRAP...OK....STOP....Jennifer, just put the scissors down a step away from the child!
Looking at the pictures now, it doesnt look THAT bad-AND the good news is, with Leah coming I wont really have time to cut it, so hopefully I wont have to for a really long time!

No comments: