Friday, July 10, 2009

Comedy of Errors-3rd of July @ Tybee Island












So I should have known this day was going to be a comedy of errors from the get go! It started out with mom bringing fireworks for us. Which sounds fun, until they are in Jamey's hands. At about 2:00pm on a day that was 102 degrees outside Jamey decided he wanted to "test" one of the firecrackers. Ok...seems reasonable enough. A little background info to help put this bad idea into better context; it has been unusually hot and dry lately, and the grass was just mowed a week prior with the cuttings not being swept up-so essentially hay was left. Thinking he was going to do this in the driveway, I told him where the lighter is (my fault I know). So instead of doing this experiment in the driveway, he goes out back, lights the firecracker and tosses it into the yard, where you guessed it it set the lawn on fire! In typical Jamey fashion, he comes in all casual, no sense of urgency and says to me and my mom, "I think I may need some help, the grass is on fire." We jump up to run into the kitchen to find him slowly filling up a pan with water. We all make it outside to find a 4 ft by 4ft square of grass on fire..which he did get out with the pan of water...my first thought should have been, "Why did you throw it in the yard?" but instead I could only think, "Why didnt you grab the hose right over there?" Either way, we look like 4th of July amateurs and it is only the 3rd!
The lack of brains and preparation continues as we head to Tybee Island for beach fireworks. We eat dinner in Savannah, which was nice, it was a glorious night outside and the town was hopin! After dinner we headed to Tybee where the debacle begins. I did a little researchwhere I find out if we headed to the north side of the island we could see both Tybee's show and Hilton Heads-this was not true (or it is possible we left before Hilton Head's started). We walked down the boardwalk to the beach and Ryan is already in full steam. It should be said that I am the worst mother-I didnt bring several staple items if one is going to the beach-bathing suit, extra outfit, swimmers, towels, bug spray..etc..Now in my defense, I hadnt planned on going into the ocean-AT ALL; maybe our feet, but thats it. I did not anticipate our Ryanbug being a waterbug. You can see the series of events from the pictures above. Here is how it went (in literally minutes):
Walk to ocean (more of a tippy tumbles into the ocean).
Feet in, pants get wet.
Roll up pants, she walks in further, mom, grandma and Jamey are now soaked as well.
Strip down to diaper and let her sit in the water (sand covering everything)
This isnt good enough, now Jamey fully dressed takes her way out-waist level...DONE
Now even though we all had to suffer through getting eaten alive by bugs, sit in wet clothes watching fireworks we could barely see, poorly attempting to keep bottles out of the sand, we all had a fairly good time watching Ryan have a blast!
Now here is where things get really miserable-there were no showers to rinse her off, we had to change her in a dirty sink and put her in the car seat in a diaper only. Meanwhile Jamey and I changed into bathing suits we happen to have in the car just to get home...if it sounds backwards you are right. All of us are exhausted, dirty, itchy and still have 1 1/2 hour drive! Happy 3rd!



No comments: