Monday, April 13, 2009

A Day of "Firsts"







Who doesn't love a party??? Well, if you had asked me that the days, hours and minutes leading up to Ryan's First Birthday Party, I would have said "I DONT!". But looking back now I can laugh. Well, chuckle at least, cause in the end it worked out and Ryan had a blast, which was most important!
Getting everything ready started months ago, when I decided to make all the flowers for her "Garden/Bug" theme...fine, that's fine. Got those done. Gorgeous, if I do say so myself. Everything else was normal party preparations, nothing stressful, just finishing stuff up. The cake was the daunting, looming, scary part. I thought it was going to be disastrous, but actually it turned out ok-not great, not what I envisioned in my head, but after the week from hell I had (with the walking pneumonia and also finding out I was pregnant again) I took what came out.
The day of her party was when I started to show signs of unraveling...I had no control over it!
Actually the day started out ok, photos on campus, which Ryan did ok for. Giving Scott her editorial look (serious, no smile). I cant blame her, she is not a commercial model-more high fashion. That was fine, it was after, it was getting ready and stepping into the wind tunnel that was Pavilion #3. It was a bit windy that day, but I guess where this thing is located created 50 mph winds just for us. Just getting the table cloths down and duct taped was a feat, and I quickly realized I was not going to be able to use the flowers I worked so hard on-the cracks began to show! Then all of a sudden the bunches and bunches of balloons I had temporarily tied to the high chair broke loose and floated away 30 minutes before the party. At which point I checked out...left to go home to get ready, crying like I was a one year old. My mother, who there is no way this party would have happened at all without, jumped into crisis mode, called the store and got new balloons. Then the party started, and here is where all of Ryan's "firsts" began. We grilled hot dogs/hamburgers-so she had her first hot dog! Loved it-not surprised, she eats anything. Then time for cake, and she giggled and smiled while everyone sang to her...very very cute. So I gave her the head of the caterpillar, which if you look at the picture, looks scared to death...so funny, but she had her first bites of cake and icing. Again-Loved it. She also had her first strawberries, honeydew and watermelon as well.
The party was a success, and Ryanbug had a great time!!!!! Really, not so sure it was worth it, but the look on her face when we were singing to her is something I will never forget. Her diaper the next morning was also something I will never forget!

2 comments:

Patty said...

Jennifer -

Congrats on your second pregnancy. My two are 19 months apart. A little hectic at times, but I wouldn't have it any other way. Ryan is adorable, and I LOVE the birthday cake, very creative! The time seriously does fly by with kids, huh?

Patty

Silvia Roorda said...

Happy Birthday Ryanbug!! She looks adorable in all her birthday/easter pics, as always...
And congratulations on the second baby!!
I'm from Brazil, and part of the WTE April 08 boards, by the way! Alice will be 1 on the 26th.
Just love seeing what Ryanbug is up to every once in a while...